Monday 10 August 2009

In the mean time...

I still don't have a camera and yes I am going through all of the stages of grief. Thanks for the commiserations and advice. I would LOVE to get the Cannon Powershot D10 but I don't think we can swing the budget that far.

So in the mean time I thought I would talk a bit about books. This is a question I've had for a while now and have been meaning to post about it.
As I understand it the Montessori Method encourages books for 0-6 to be based on reality. After reading Montessori from the Start I was left with the impression that all books introduced to this age group should be "reality" based.
Well this has not been the case in our house. Maybe because we came to the whole Montessori thing too late and had already been reading L fantasy books and most of them are gifts from relatives. I do try to only get factual books from the library but I'm telling you they are really few and far between for this age group!
I would be very interested to hear what sort of books other people read to their children and how they feel about fantasy and the Montessori approach. In my opinion I don't think L even at this age has a problem with distinguishing between the dancing dinosaurs in her book and the ones we saw at the museum this weekend but I could be wrong.

That being said these are our favorite library books at the moment.


The whole family loves this book. We love all of the sounds and the humor. After a few times reading it to L she could say the lines along with us.
Also Rainforest Animals by Paul Hess. The illustrations in this book are so vibrant and the poems are clever and catchy.
Some of our all time favs are the Jillian Jiggs and Hairy Maclary books.

I would really love to hear all of your opinions and what some of your favorite books are. L just can't get enough and we're always looking for a good read!

4 comments:

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

At this age?

'Love You Forever'. I'm not generally much of a Munsch fan, but his one is good...and nearly makes me cry every time.

Gypsy said...

Hi - thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! Some books I would suggest are the Mog the Cat book - particularly the little board books 'Mog and Me, Mog's Family of Cat's, Mog in the Garden'. Also Rosies Walk - its about a hen but its just a hen doing hen stuff its not personifying it or dressing it up. The 'Alfie' series is excellent too - very 'real life'. And the books by Ezra Keats - at least I think that's her ... books like Peters Chair. Will try to think of more. I personally struggle with the 'get children based in reality first' thing - I actually see the 0-7 age group as the senstive age for fantasy as after 7 our ability to engage in fantasy is decreased, so it needs developing first and early! But then, I'm more Steiner than Monti!

Jenn said...

My little one (she's 2) enjoys the Ezra Jack Keats stories, Curious George (maybe not the *most* realistic out there, but it doesn't involve talking animals or magic or anything), Madeline and lots of the Usborne books (Find The Bird is a favorite). She also really enjoys looking at books made for older kids with lots of big pictures, DK makes a lot of good quality books like that and she *loves* their big visual dictionary. It's her favorite book!

In our home we have both realistic and fantasy books, although I try to stick with the more realistic stories as much as I can.

Sandy said...

I just started homeschooling my son using Montessori method a month ago and I was looking for books based on reality when I found a great list of recommended children's book in the blog http://montessoribyhand.blogspot.com/2008/01/list-of-recommended-childrens-books.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails